Thursday 14 January 2016

Elevator

I was able to talk with a lot of people today. Some were friends I had made last semester here at Kwantlen, while others were completely new. In fact, just as I was cleaning up from a Multi-Faith event I ran into a young man in the elevator who asked me about the Multi-Faith Centre (the name was on a sign I was holding). It turns out he is a Christian student deeply interested in the Christian spiritual life and Christian presence on the KPU campus. A spiritual friendship has begun.

And so, with some consistent relationships and some that seem to appear out of thin air, my work at Kwantlen presses on. I really felt like my chance encounter in the elevator was the work of the Holy Spirit, and I do believe it was, but as I reflect I notice that even those relatively stable friendships I have developed are also the work of the Spirit. It is surely exciting and invigorating to be confronted with a spiritual gift like a friendship in an elevator. But, as always, God reminds us that deep continuities are just as important and just as much his work as surprising eruptions in the midst of our lives.

So my prayer today is that I would continue to be attentive to both of these dimensions and see their ultimate unity: the unity of the work of the Spirit in both surprising and comfortable ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment